Sunday, May 16, 2010

Crazy Hail Storm

So we were leaving the shower today when people at the club started coming in saying "tornado will be here in 30 mins., golf ball and baseball size hail." We packed up the car and headed home. I wasnt worried at this point, but we didnt need any hail damage to alfie's new car, so we headed out. Then i returned a missed call to my dad, who was warning us of the weather that was heading our way. This made me a little nervous, because my dad is a lot like me in the fascination of a storm. We unloaded my mom's car so she could beat the storm home herself.

I did turn on the news, but alfie and i started sorting through gifts and putting things where they needed to go. Just as predicted, about 30 minutes later it starts to rain. Then a few sounds of little pieces of hail. Not 10 seconds after that, i am on the couch with alfie and the terrified and scaredy boxer Boston with my camera ( i didnt want to lose my photos from the shower today) and phone in hand. There was no playing anymore! I had never seen anything like it. Hail like you would not believe was coming down. It honestly looked like snow! Combined with the branches, leaves, and heavy rain, i got nervous. Then annoyed. With Alfie. I thought maybe we should go to our safe place, but there was no way he was leaving the show. I did go to the hallway, i must admit, but i couldnt stand not seeing what was happening either, so i got up to watch out the bathroom window. Within 3 minutes of starting it was over, or at least the hail storm. So i snapped some pictures. The shower ones will have to wait for another day.

Right after the hail let up and i felt it safe to go out.

Okay, so it wasnt done raining, but i had to get my neighbor's roof across the street

The backyard

The intersection from our garage door. You can barely see the little white rapid running down the street, but cant really see the massive river...

so i decided to try and walk out into it to see how deep it was. Of course it was freezing so i decided against that, and just stopped at the end of the driveway instead.


Here is my substantial piece of hail i found. At least thats what i thought.


Then alfie showed me what he found. Once again, i had been outdone.
I've got plenty more photos, but they are kinda repeats, so i will have to see if there are any other good ones. I took tons, not really believing how crazy it was. I hope everyone that got hit by the storm is okay!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'm guessing since you don't have pictures of busted windows, that you don't have any? Crazy that it hit so bad over there. I had no idea any of it was happening. I was just at home, making chocolate chip cookies! No hail here. Glad your home seems to be ok!

the garrett family said...

glad we decided to pack up griffin and go to edmond during the storm!