Sunday, August 15, 2010

Motherhood

Remember hearing the phrase "oh, enjoy each other now, because when that baby is born, it's not about you anymore!" Mostly from parents whose kids were grown or almost out of the house. I heard this sooo many times, especially when i was a week overdue, that i was tired of hearing it! Yesterday it popped back into my head as I had my first experience where i had to say no to something i really wanted to do, but knew it wasnt in annabelle's best interest to do- we did not make it to my high school friend's wedding reception. We did make it to her gorgeous wedding, which is the most important part i suppose.

alfie was in dallas with his brother, so i was on my own. she did great during the wedding, but we were both getting hot by the end of the ceremony and when i went to put her in her car seat in 107 degree temps (at 7p!), there was some protesting. the reception was not far, so there wasnt really anytime to cool off between locations. the thought of having to get her in and out of her car seat fussy, hot, and getting hungry, didnt seem very nice. especially since i knew she wouldnt last at the reception for very long. I had even pulled into a parking spot and was starting to take her out, but looked at her hot and crying face, and knew i should probably just take her home.

I know the bride saw me, and i got a chance to talk with another long lost friend for about 5 minutes (until bridesmaid duties took her away), so i feel good that she knows i came. But after sitting in the back and seeing a whole sect of people from high school that i had totally forgotten about, i was really looking forward to catching up with some of them. After all the work of getting ready and being there on time, i was/am disappointed. in the end though, it wasnt about me.

No comments: